Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
Follow these steps to download an EBSCO eBook to a Computer:
- From Seeker or the EBSCO eBook database, click the Download (Offline) link for the eBook you would like to download.
- If you are not logged into your My EBSCOhost folder, you are prompted to do so. If you have not yet created a MyEBSCOhost account, you will need to create one before proceeding. This account is not the same as your library account, so you will not automatically have one.
- Once you have logged into your account, select the Checkout period from the drop-down menu.
- Click the Checkout and Download button.
- In the dialog box that opens, select Open or Save.
- If you Open the file, your eBook is opened with Adobe Digital Editions.
- If you Save the file, the eBook is saved to your computer and can be opened with Adobe Digital Editions at a later time. You will need to install Adobe Digital Editions, if it is not already on your computer. You can install a free version here.
- The first time you use Adobe Digital Editions, it will prompt you to authorize your computer. You can choose to authorize with or without a vendor ID. Authorizing with a vendor ID, such as Adobe ID or OverDrive, will allow you to sync your Adobe Digital Editions content with other computers and mobile devices. Authorizing without a vendor ID will enable you to use the downloaded content on that computer only.
- Ebooks will automatically be returned and files removed from your computer on the due date. If you would like to return the book prior to the due date, right click on the image of the book in Adobe Digital Editions and click "Return borrowed item."
Follow these steps to download an EBSCO eBook using the Bluefire Reader app:
- Download the Bluefire Reader app from the app store for your device. (iOS, Android, or Windows). If you already have the Bluefire Reader app, skip to step #3.
- Authorize Bluefire Reader with your Adobe ID. If you do not have an Adobe ID, create one for free by clicking on "Create a free Adobe ID".
- In Seeker or the EBSCO eBook database, select "Download this eBook (offline)" on the left side of the page.
- Sign into your EBSCOhost account, or create one for free.
- Select the number of days you would like the book and click "Checkout & Download".
- A link will open in a new tab prompting you to "Open in Bluefire Reader".
- The book should download and be available on the app for the previously selected number of days. You do not need an internet connection to access it.
- The book will automatically be removed from Bluefire Reader and your device on the due date. If you would like to return the book prior to the due date, click on the information icon to the right of the book in the list view (not visible in cover view) and then click "Return Item".
Follow these steps to download an eBook with the EBSCO eBooks app:
- Download the EBSCO eBook mobile app. Click here for iOS or here for Android. Note: if you have an Adobe ID and would like to synchronize your reading across multiple devices, you can elect to authorize the app using your existing Adobe ID, or create a new one by clicking here and then click Get an Adobe ID.
- Open the app and click Authorize to authorize it to read eBooks.
- Click Find Books (at the bottom of the screen) and use the library locator to find the Loyola Notre Dame Library in the app before you can search for and download eBooks to your device.
- Click Find Books to access the search screen. Enter your search terms and click the magnifying glass icon or select a category in the Browse area to run a search on the app.
- Click the Download (Offline) link for the eBook you would like to download.
- Log into your personal My EBSCOhost folder or click Create a new Account if you do not already have one. This is separate from your library account.
- Select the Checkout period from the drop-down menu and click the Checkout & Download button.
Follow these steps to download eBooks from Ebook Central (Proquest):
- Once you have located the eBook you want to download, select Full Download. Note the loan period listed below Full Download.
- If you have not opened the book yet, a pop-up window with the message, "Loyola-Notre Dame Library would like you to open this book before downloading." Click Open Book.
- If you clicked Open Book from the pop-up window, the book will open. Select the Download Icon in the upper left corner of the screen.
- A pop-up window will appear with the message, "Sign in to Ebook Central to download books. Get back to your book in less than a minute. You will be taken to Loyola-Notre Dame Library's Sign In page". Select Continue.
- On the next screen, choose your school. You will be prompted to login. Loyola users should sign in with their Inside Loyola e-mail address and password. Notre Dame users should sign in with their campus e-mail address and password.
- After you've logged in, a pop-up window will appear with 3 steps. In the first step, choose your device - a laptop desktop, iOS (iPad, iPhone, or iPod), Android (Phone, Tablet), or Other. Then select if you are using your own computer or a public computer. Click Continue.
- Next, you'll need Adobe Digital Editions or Bluefire Reader (for Androids). If you don't already have Adobe Digital Editions, select Get Adobe Digital Editions to download the program for free. If you already have Adobe Digital Editions, click Done With This Step. If necessary, you'll need to do the same for Bluefire Reader.
- In the third step, select Download Your Book.
- A file will download that you can open with Adobe Digital Editions or Bluefire Reader. Once you have opened your book in Adobe Digital Editions, it will be available there until it is returned. You can also view your loans from your Ebook Central Bookshelf. Go to Ebook Central (ProQuest) and select Bookshelf from the upper right menu. Select your school and login with your library login information. On the next page, select Downloads & Loans to view your books. Select the title to read it in your internet browser.
- The e-book will automatically be returned at the end of the loan period.