1. Open Zotero. From the File menu in the upper left-hand corner, select Import.
2. A window asking "Where do you want to import from?" will pop up. Select A file and click Next.
3. Select a file you exported from RefWorks and click Open.
4. A dialog box with the option "Place imported collections and items into a new collection" will appear. You have two choices:
5. Once you have made your selection, click Next.
6. After the import is complete, click Finish.
7. Your references are now imported into Zotero.
To include a PDF or any other file from your computer in Zotero, simply drag it to Zotero — you can drag to an existing item to attach the file or drag between items to store as an independent item. Zotero will automatically retrieve bibliographic metadata for the PDFs.