You will need to create a My NCBI account to create search alerts in PubMed. To create an account:
1. Click Sign in to NCBI in the top right of the screen.
2. Click Register for an NCBI account in the lower left corner.
You will need to log into your My NCBI account to create a search alert in PubMed.
To create a search alert in PubMed:
1. Click Save Search at the top of the results list.
2. Rename the search (optional) and click Save.
3. On the next screen, select Yes, please under "Would you like email updates of new search results?" Choose your frequency and formatting preferences, and then click Save.
To create journal/table of contents alerts in PubMed, you will need to sign in to your My NCBI account. Next:
1. Click Advanced under the main search box at the top of the page.
2. Select Journal from the drop-down menu and start to type the journal title. A drop-down menu will appear with possible titles that match your terms. Click the title you're looking for, and then click Search.
3. Click Save search at the top of the results list.
4. Rename the search (optional) and click Save.
5. Click Yes, please under "Would you like email updates of new search results?" and select your preferences. Then click Save.
To get the RSS feed for a specific search in PubMed:
1. Click the RSS link at the top of the results list.
2. In the box that pops up, name the RSS feed, set your preferences, and click Create RSS.
3. Click XML next to the feed name in the pop-up box.
4. Select your feed reader and click Subscribe Now.